VIRGY - Vasa Shipping

Aloittaja Jari Savolainen, 15.11.2011, 10:42:46

« edellinen - seuraava »

Jari Savolainen

1970-luvun jälkipuoliskolta vaasalainen Vasa Shipping omisti pari mukavuuslippulaivaa GREZ ja MARLY. 1980 ja 81 ulosliputettiin myös FRANCES ja SANDVIKEN. Vuonna 1968 myi Hain-Nourse TREMAYNE-nimisen aluksen (IMO 5368017 rak. 1953) Kyprokselle ja nimeksi tuli VIRGY. Omistajaksi merkittiin Vasa Shipping Co Ltd Kyprokselta. Alus seilasi tällä nimellä ja omistuksella vuoteen 1975 asti. Tuhannen taalan kysymys: oliko tämä alus vaasalaisten omistama vai vain sattumalta saman niminen varustaja? 

Risto Brzoza

Tuhannen taalan kysymys: oliko tämä alus vaasalaisten omistama vai vain sattumalta saman niminen varustaja?

VIRGY was always owned by Greek owners A. Halcoussis & Co of Piraeus   – there is no connection at all with Finland.

As you wrote MARLY and GREZ were both owned by Vasa Shipping.
In 1982 GREZ was transferred to Liberian flag and for short period renamed TAIAN by same owners and listed as owned by Vasa Shipping. Later she was sold to Liberian owners without change of name.

SANDVIKEN after her transfers to Panama flag was owned by Vasa Shipping until 1984 when sold to Thailand.

FRANCES was not owned by Vasa Shipping under Panama flag.
In 1981 she was sold to Frances Steamship SA of Panama and managed by Everest Oil (Pte) Ltd of Singapore until her fire in 1982. She was broken up same year .

There was one more vessel listed as owned/operated by Vasa Shipping Oy Ab of Vaasa. This being MAR BALTICO built 1967 with goss tonnage of 798. Her registered owner was A/S Fiskernes Bank of Vaasa.

Raine Taponen

Lainaus käyttäjältä: Jari Savolainen - 15.11.2011, 10:42:46
1970-luvun jälkipuoliskolta vaasalainen Vasa Shipping omisti pari mukavuuslippulaivaa GREZ ja MARLY. 1980 ja 81 ulosliputettiin myös FRANCES ja SANDVIKEN. Vuonna 1968 myi Hain-Nourse TREMAYNE-nimisen aluksen (IMO 5368017 rak. 1953) Kyprokselle ja nimeksi tuli VIRGY. Omistajaksi merkittiin Vasa Shipping Co Ltd Kyprokselta. Alus seilasi tällä nimellä ja omistuksella vuoteen 1975 asti. Tuhannen taalan kysymys: oliko tämä alus vaasalaisten omistama vai vain sattumalta saman niminen varustaja?

Vasa Shippingistä olen kuullut useammalta merimieheltä tarinaa seilatessani maailman meriä. Varustamo on jäännyt varmasti legendaarisena kokemuksena monien merimiesten- ja heidän lähipiirin muistoihin. Otin kantaa tähän keskusteluun, koska aihe on kiinnostava ja Vasa Shippingin "hakurahtilaivojen" historia (VIRGY). Viitteelliseksi postaan oheisen linkin, jospa sen kautta löytyisi vastaus tuohon "tuhannen taalan kysymykseen": http://www.aanimeri.fi/node/291

Terveisin R.T
INFO HELSINKI: VR-transpoint / TURKU: MKK-Pori:SPC Finland / RIIHIMÄKI: R.T

Jari Savolainen

Risto, thanks for the info.
Vasa Shipping went bankrupt in late 1983.
According to my info about GREZ, the crew recruited by Vasa Shipping was repatriated at Inchon, South Korea in Jan/Feb 1984. Liberian flag at that moment. The ship was renamed TAIAN as you say.

Around the same time MARLY was renamed TAICHEE.

I recall seeing some info that FRANCES, after flag change in 1980 had still some ties with Vasa Shipping (partly Finnish crew etc.). Maybe I'm wrong.

MAR BALTICO is all news to me. Could you provide some more info about this ship and it's history, please.

Kind rgds, Jari

Risto Brzoza

Yes, there can be some connection to Finland (or some persons from around Vaasa) after FRANCES  was sold to Everest Oil in 1981.

Everest Oil (Pte) Ltd of Singapore also owned/managed LABORE '65 (ex Bore XI) which was bought in 1981. Her registered owner was Mercia Tankers SA of Panama.  Vaasa owners owned a couple of vessels named MERCIA. This can be connection or just name.
Everest Oil could be manager of vessels partly owned by Finnish interests.

As to MAR BALTICO (IMO 6725183).
She was built in 1967 by H. Rancke, Hamburg (# 211) as JOJO for Norwegian owner I.S. Arbeco (L.R. Johansson, manager). In 1970 she was sold to another Norwegian owner K/S A/S Lundskip (Svein Lund, manager) of Stavanger and renamed HAMMERSBORG. Later owners were Larvik Navigation Corp of Panama.  In 1981 she was lengthened and became MAR BALTICO. In 1984 she was sold to Maritimas Estlait y Compania then to Maritima Aqual SA, both of Panama and became PISPIS. I did not researched her after this.
As built:
298g, 169n, 766d
59.49 x 10.11 m
6-cyl (oil 4 SA)  MWM,Mannheim. 1050 bhp, 11 kts
after  lengthening
468g, 324n
79.00 x 10.10 m

Jari Savolainen

Thanks again for the info, accurate as usual.
But - what was the connection of MAR BALTICO with Vasa Shipping? The Fiskernes Bank you mentioned earlier seems to be a Norwegian bank.

Somehow the name MAR BALTICO rings a bell here. If memory serves, there was a short period in 1980's when a guy originally from Finland operated two ships in Colombia. I think these were two sister ships of about 1500 dwt, named MAR BALTICO and MAR ARTICO (spelling?). Coastal traffic on the Pacific side of SA. No further info of these here, I'm afraid. Can't find in the files any suitable ship named MAR ARTICO or similar. Any idea?

Risto Brzoza

Jari,

I know that A/S Fiskernes Bank seems to be a Norwegian name.

This name is given in 1984 as registered owners of MAR BALTICO.  Full info is:
A/S Fiskernes Bank, Hovrattsesplanaden 13, 65100 Vaasa, Finland.

Owner/manager is given as:  Vasa Shipping Oy Ab, Hovrattsesplanaden 13, 65100 Vaasa, Finland.

Registered owner is located at the same address as managers.
So, there is clear connection between owner of MAR BALTICO and Vasa Shipping Oy Ab of Vaasa.

Jari Savolainen

I digged a bit deeper about my memories of the above mentioned vessels MAR BALTICO and MAR ARTICO. The latter one seems to be IMO 6712851 originally JOMSBORG. Both have connections with Larvik and the operator I mentioned above had connections with Vasa Shipping earlier. Interesting.

Jari Savolainen

And still speculating...the NOR owners of these two ships went into financial problems and the ships fell into hands of the bank. Some arrangements were made with the next operator (Finnish/Colombian). Hard to see if Vasa Shipping could have been involved anymore in 1983/1984 when the company was already drowning. Speculating futrher, I guess the mentions of Vasa Shipping in ownership of MAR BALTICO are possibly only some mailing addresses given by the future owner.